This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Comparing two documents with DDEs

Dec 1, 2015 at 8:41 PM
I have not downloaded this yet. I wanted to ask if this would be useful to solve an issue I am having prior to starting the project.

Everyday I am face with the task of comparing multiple versions of Docx files. I have not found software up to this point which does a good job of this, and can be run from command line. Things that I need to be able to check for are:
  • The text it self (this seems to be the only thing other comparison tools look for)
  • Text Lay out
  • Spacing changes
  • Font
  • Style
  • Documents could contain images
  • Documents will contain DDEs
I am basically looking to do a pixel by pixel comparison of the document. It seems like I should be able to read all of the style tags and all of the text tags from the xml and do a comparison at that level. I can then pull out the images and use something else to compare the image files. But prior to taking this on I wanted to see if this framework would be useful for this?

Thanks
Developer
Dec 12, 2015 at 2:26 PM
Most of the things you should be able to do. Look thru examples, code and unit tests. If there are things that you can't do simply open up the source code and add it in. Surely it will be easier then doing this from scratch or going pixel by pixel on everything. For DDE or Images you would have to find some special approaches like extract image and compare size, or CRC value of the images. DDE i don't even know what it is so can't help there :-) But we will welcome any addition of code from you since your task seems like something heavily into Word :)