Next Stable/Published build

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Thanks for DocX, it's really helped me out.  Now that's I'm using a version I built myself, its great, but I nearly gave up on it in my first trial with publish binary.

The project is active and seems to be getting a fair bit of use. Development is still progressing, which is great.

The available binary just past a year old.  To any newcomer this gives a false (negative) impression about the state of the project.  Since then there have been a lot of fixes and enhancements, both in the source here, submitted as patches, and on the github fork.

It'd be good to pull all that together and update the release binary.  It's not all perfect, but I think it's better than what's currently available.  It could help uptake (people often pass over projects which don't look maintained), and therefore contribution rates, and prevent people encountering bugs which are long fixed and deciding the lib doesn't work well enough. It'll help keep the discussion board clear of queries about fixed issues too, so that people can contribute comments/requests/suggestions which are of more benefit to the projects future.

I'm sure you're busy, but in my mind, this is the single task which would most help the project move forward right now.

Coordinator
Jan 30, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Hi Ian,

I agree with you but I am currently trying to write up my PhD.

If I make you a contributor of DocX, would you be willing to apply the available patches and release a new version?

Realistically it will be months before I get the chance to do this myself.

Kindest regards,
Cathal

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Hi Cathal,

I'm not sure I'm in a position to do that right now.

Although I've been using DocX quiet heavily the last few weeks, I'm really not sure I know enough about it to properly review/merge/resolve conflicts/test, particularly for features I haven't used at all yet.

I'm fairly tied up for the next few weeks, but I'll see if I can fit in a bit of time get up to speed.

I've noticed there are few other regulars on the forums/committers, are any of you in a better position to do this?

-Ian