Feedback on DocX version 1.0.0.11

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:15 AM
Edited Jan 20, 2011 at 4:16 AM

Have people accepted the move to .NET 4.0?

I can not accept it.

Has anyone decided to stop using DocX because they cannot upgrade to .NET 4.0?

DocX is a very useful project, but I have to give it up if it upgrades to .NET 4.0

Have you found this version to be more stable than previous releases, i.e. has the vast amount of time I spent creating unit tests paid off?

Yes!

Developer
Jan 20, 2011 at 8:23 AM

1. Have people accepted the move to .NET 4.0?

I have moved my project to 4.0 to be able to test and use new version. Would prefer to wait but ok.

2. Has anyone decided to stop using DocX because they cannot upgrade to .NET 4.0?

No

3. Have you found this version to be more stable than previous releases, i.e. has the vast amount of time I spent creating unit tests paid off?

Well new version using the same exact code as 1.0.0.10 with slight change for pictures doesn't work for me. Have to use still 1.0.0.10 (some build version i built myself).

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM

We accepted the move to .NET 4.0. This week we migrated our (pretty big) database application from .NET 3.5 to .NET 4.0 and it wasn't really hard. Now we can use things like parallel programming, optional parameters, etc.

There are free versions of Visual Studio 2010 (2010 is required for .NET 4.0) and also checkout the Website spark program for web developers: http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/. You are allowed to use Visual Studio 2010 Professional for free. There are some requirements, you can find them on the provided website.

Can't say anything about DocX stability just yet. We only use a subset of DocX, but it works perfectly for us.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:41 AM

As an addition to my previous post:

Something I noticed a few weeks ago: When I generated a docx document - using DocX version 57843 - it could not be opened in Word 2003 (using docx compatibility pack). Using Word 2007, the document opened correctly.

This week we migrated to the DocX 59719 version and then the generated docx documents were also corrupt in Word 2007. Eventually, after some research and changing some of my code, the docx could be opened correctly in 2007. Then I tested it in Word 2003 and it also opened correctly! So version 1.0.0.11 (59719) works better for us and the generated docx seems more compliant to the openxml standard, because it now opened in Word 2003 also.